1. I have the honour to speak on behalf of the Group of 77 and China on agenda item 134, entitled programme budget for the biennium 2016-2017 on the request for a subvention to the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia.
2. At the outset, the Group of 77 and China would like to thank Ms. Bettina Tucci Bartsiotas, Assistant Secretary-General, Controller, as well as Mr. Carlos Ruiz Massieu, Chair of the Advisory Committee for Administrative and Budgetary Questions, for introducing their respective reports on this important agenda item.
3. Efficient and effective operation of the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia in discharging its given mandates is a key element to the Group of 77 and China. We therefore continue to pay close attention to the consideration of the Secretary-General's proposal related to the Chambers delivery of their given mandate.
4. The Group of 77 and China recall that, by paragraph 4 section IV of its resolution 70/248A, the General Assembly authorized the Secretary-General, as an exceptional measure, to enter into commitments in an amount not to exceed US$ 12.1 million to supplement the voluntary financial resources of the international component of the Extraordinary Chambers for the period from 1 January to 31 December 2016, and to report on the use of the commitment authority in the context of the next report. The Group notes that the current report before us is part of the implementation of the provisions of the said resolution. The Group wishes to recall that under paragraph 5 section IV of the resolution, the General Assembly has encouraged all Member States to provide voluntary support for both the international and national components of Extraordinary Chambers.
5. The Group of 77 and China have taken note of the report of the Secretary-General in particular the progress made in the case files, projected time lines, completion plan and road map, financial position and fundraising efforts as well as financial resource requirement for the year 2017. The Group commends all the stakeholders in particular the host government, the Secretary-General and Member States who facilitated the progress achieved including on the provision of the extrabudgetary resources. We have also taken note of the Secretary-General's proposal in the amount of US$ 16.2 million to supplement the extrabudgetary resources for the year 2017, which, we hope, will be considered positively during our deliberations.
6. The Group of 77 and China have also taken note of the comments, observations and recommendations contained in the report of the Advisory Committee and we will be interested to study them carefully and will issue specific comments and proposed way forward during our informal consultations.
7. Having also taken note of the financial shortfall for the national component salary of November and December of 2016, the Group of 77 and China fully support Cambodia's appeal to the United Nations, the principal donors group and interested States to mobilize necessary funds to fulfill the funding gaps for the national side of the Extraordinary Chambers with the amount of around US$ 620,000 to finish 2016.
8. In conclusion, allow me to assure you of our Group's readiness to engage constructively with other delegations with the view to achieving positive outcome on this subject in a timely manner.
I thank you, Madam Chair.